I apologize for missing my posting earlier this week. Things have been a little crazy around here. So I'm just going to give a quick update on where I'm at.
I finished a second (or is it third?) review of the manuscript, tightened up some plot points and rewrote the ending. The ending still needs some work, but I'll get back to that.
I've decided I need to write-out a character from the original draft. She felt like a 2D stereotype and didn't add much to the story. In fact, she wasn't physically in most of the story, usually appearing only through phone conversations. I figured out a way to replace her, so I'm going to do it. But that means a lot of revision, and one more pass on the manuscript before Beta.
The new ending also beefed up another character for me, and added a new dimension to the story that I have to scatter throughout the manuscript. I think it will be much, much better this way.
All of these changes have really cut down the size of the manuscript. I'm down to about 60,000 words, which is a little short for a novel. If I continue to slice and dice, it could go even lower than that (and might be better for it). I'm considering calling it a novella now instead of a novel. There are issues with that, of course, including that novella's are often difficult to sell through Traditional Publishing, but I'm thinking I don't want to go that route...much to ponder before fully making that decision, but I'm thinking about it.
I should have a Beta Manuscript by the end of the weekend. My Beta Readers are lined up and ready to go. Then it will be a month-long "break" from the novella. I have a couple of story ideas that I'm going to start working on during the "break" to see if anything sticks. I also have a short that I want to clean up and post for free online. And I'm going to put up my own website soon too, so you can look forward to that.
Well, so much for a "quick" update. There really is a lot going on!